Sixteen Texas Acrobats will be part of the USA and Mexico delegations competing this weekend in the 1st Acrobatic Gymnastics Pan American Championship, to be held Oct 9 – 11, 2015, in Caguas, Puerto Rico. In addition to Texas, USA Gymnastics will be sending acrobats from California and Maryland. Other countries represented will be Puerto Rico, Brazil and Canada.
The Pan American Championship is an exciting addition in the sport of acrobatics, creating for the first time a continental championship event in the Americas. Similar events are held in Europe and Asia, bringing together national champions from many countries to compete on a international field prior to the biennial World Championships. Many in the world of acrobatic gymnastics see this as an important step towards the goal of seeing acrobatics in the Olympic Games.
The Texas Acro contingent for the Pan American Championships include:
- Sarah Diamond, Beth Heinz – 11-16 Women’s Pair (AGSA) – Team USA
- Morgan Price, Alex Edwards – 11-16 Women’s Pair (AGSA) – Team USA
- Ximena Suarez, Isabella Melendez – 11-16 Women’s Pair (AGSA) – Team Mexico
- Jordan Gruendler, Lexi Leinonen, Elizabeth Kirchner – 11-16 Women’s Group (AGSA) – Team USA
- Thalia Berry, Aubrey Rosilier – 12-18 Women’s Pair (AGSA) – Team USA
- Alyssa Delgado, Connie Kickirillo, Gabby Foster – 12-18 Women’s Group (AGSA) – Team USA
- Maren Merwarth, Jessica Renteria – Senior Women’s Pair (AGSA) – Team USA